HIST: Tom Craig

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Seeing the name of Tim Craig attached to the iris 'Bloodspot' brought back
some vague memories (the only kind I have these days). I would guess that
Tim is/was a son of the hybridizer and grower Tom Craig, who, among other
things, was an early pioneer with arilbreds. He also had some pretty nice
TBs, a few of which I grew back in the late 50's and early 60's.  Around
the latter time, the elder Craig retired (I think) and his garden was
broken up.  I ordered a collection of 50 daylily varieties, and strange to
say, I still have one, the name long since lost.  It's a rather small red,
but spreads very aggressively by stolons, and
so makes a good border or naturalizing plant.

I have a photograph of a Tom Craig introduction that pleased me very
much--a yellow ground plicata with a very narrow edge of red on both the
standards and falls.  Unfortunately the slide is unlabelled.  Maybe
sometime I'll get around to scanning it and send it along to Mike to
post--though he will probably know the name right off.

Tom Craig, as I recall, was a professional artist well known for his
battlefield sketches from WW2--probably the last period in our history when
the war news was illustrated with drawings rather than photographs.

Still raining lightly here--hurray!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

Did you know that you can now set up a shared calendar to
post events of interest to your community?
http://www.onelist.com
Check out our homepage for details.