HIST: Tom Craig

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Bill Shear:

>  Seeing the name of Tim Craig attached to the iris 'Bloodspot' brought
some vague memories (the only kind I have these days). I would guess that
Tim is/was a son of the hybridizer and grower Tom Craig, who, among other
things, was an early pioneer with arilbreds. He also had some pretty nice
TBs, a few of which I grew back in the late 50's and early 60's.  Around
the latter time, the elder Craig retired (I think) and his garden was
broken up.  I ordered a collection of 50 daylily varieties, and strange to
say, I still have one, the name long since lost.  It's a rather small red,
but spreads very aggressively by stolons, and
so makes a good border or naturalizing plant.

Tom Craig died in early 1969, of a sudden heart attack.  He'd put out his
typical, large Iris/Daylilies catalog in 1968 and his widow put out a final
catalog for 1969-70.  He not only worked with what we call arilbreds today,
but he also introduced many with lesser aril content that proved popular in
their own right.  Anyone who who would find it fun to introduce some aril
traits into TB lines would do well to study Tom's pedigrees.

>  Tom Craig, as I recall, was a professional artist well known for his
battlefield sketches from WW2--probably the last period in our history when
the war news was illustrated with drawings rather than photographs.

He also illustrated his catalogs with exquisite, life-like drawings.

Sharon McAllister

Ultimate Swiss Army Knife ** Swiss Champ ** ONLY $44.95 Shipping Incl.
Never Get Stuck Again**Lg. Blade, Sm. Blade, Corkscrew, Scissors, pen
Chisel, Saw, Opener, Scaler. Great for Adventures or Father's Day!!!