Re: CULT: BSP - Provisional Indicators List (Complete)

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

A few more cultivar names were suggested for our Provisional Indicator's
List before nominations closed at 8:00 p.m. EDT today. I have added them to
the list below (in caps for identification purposes) along with all the
nominees from List 1 (4-27-99) and List 2 (4-48-99), except for IN TOWN and
MA MIE, which on the basis of the feedback received have been deleted from
the list. This list then represents the complete list of all cultivars
nominated as potential BSP indicator cultivars for the 1999 bloom season.
From this list we will select our final "Official" Indicator's List of no
more than six cultivars per class plus up to two additional Historic
indicators in a class.

                 BSP Complete Provisional Indicator's List

Dwarf Bulbous: I. danfordiae, I. reticulate, Clairette
MDB: Alpine Lake, Bugsy, Cinnamon Apples, Lemon Puff, Little Blacksmith,
SDB: Dark Crystal, Gemstar, Little Showoff, Low Life, Orange Tiger, Vavoom,
IB: Butter Pecan, Dark Waters, Harlow Gold, Honey Glazed, Lemon Pop, Maui
Moonlight, Smitten Kitten, Florentina (H)*
MTB: Abridged Version, Bumblebee Deelite, Petite Monet, Robin Goodfellow,
Rosemary's Dream, Welch's Reward, Honorabile (H)*, Pewee (H)*
BB: Baby Bengal, Colorado Ambrosia, Low Spirits, Orinoco Flow, Pink
Bubbles, Sonja's Selah, Jungle Shadows (H)*, Queen of May (H)*
TB: Before The Storm, Dusky Challenger, Honky Tonk Blues, Lemon Mist,
Silverado, Superstition, Witching, Camelot Rose (H)*, Helen Collingwood
(H)*, Ola Kala (H)*, Pallida Variegata "Zebra" (H)*, Quaker Lady (H)*,
Stepping Out (H)*
AB: Bold Sentry, Omar The Tentmaker, Seraph's Jewel
SIB: Butter & Sugar, EWEN, Lady Vanessa, Pink Haze, Sky Wings, Swirling
Lavender, Caesar's Brother (H)*, Eric The Red (H)*, Super Ego (H)*
SPU: BLACK GAMECOCK, Candlelace, Marilyn Holloway, Missouri Rivers, New
JI: Hue & Cry, Little Snowman, Pink Dace, Silverband, Stately Flamingo,
White Parachute, Rose Queen (H)*
LA: Cajun Cookery, Eastertide, Jim, Professor Neil
 * (H)=chosen as a representative Historic indicator
In spite of the fact that nominations have closed, if anyone detects any
glaring holes now that the entire list is assembled in one place and has
suggestions on how they would fill it, please contact me OFFLIST.

Where do we go from here? All BSPers should record the date of first bloom
on any cultivars in this list that they are growing in their gardens and
that come into bloom before we reach agreement on the final "Official"
list, since we don't know yet which ones will make the cut and which will
be dropped. Also, everyone who can should be keeping track of the date the
first and last cultivar in each class that they are growing in their garden
opens its first flower. This information will help us evaluate which of our
presumed indicators are really doing the job when we look at the data we
have assembled after the bloom season is over and will point the way to
what we will do next year.

When I saw the list of people scheduled to attend the "Geek" dinner at the
AIS Convention in Oklahoma City next week that Kathy Guest posted to
Iris-talk and realized that nearly half the BSP Brigade is planning to be
present at this event, it became apparent that it presented a golden
opportunity for some face-to-face discussion regarding the final
composition of our Indicator's List. I am unable to attend this year's
Convention, but I have contacted some who are, and as soon as we work out a
plan on how such a discussion can be realized, I will post the results to
Iris-talk for the benefit of all the BSPers who are going to Oklahoma City.
Since this unique opportunity presents itself in a timely fashion, we will
hold off finalizing the Indicator's List until after the Convention. Anyone
who has comments to make regarding the final shape of the list via
Iris-talk is also welcome to do so.

Happy Irising!

Jeff Walters
BSP Coordinator

What does Public Radio's "Ask Dr. Science Show" know that you don't...?
...That ONElist hosts the largest free e-mail lists on the Internet today!