Re: SPEC: Crested Iris

From: "GeneBush" <genebush@otherside.com>

Hello Michael,
	Nothing unusual going on here. This is a pretty variable little Iris in
nature. Once in a while I run short of stock for the nursery and have to
order wholesale I. cristata from other regions. I always look for changes
in form or color when they bloom and occasionally hold one back for myself.
Color hue changes are very common. If you are addicted to catalogs as I am
you can see many of the wildflower nurseries will have several stable
cultivars to choose from.
	I separate mine when they are found and pot them up individually in stock
pots and simply watch them for a few years to see if I am still as
appreciative next year as I was this or last. Right now I am watching 5 or
6 cultivars in the holding area.
	Enjoy your discoveries.
	Gene Bush     Southern Indiana    Zone 6a     Munchkin Nursery
          around the woods - around the world
genebush@otherside.com     http://www.munchkinnursery.com

----------
> From: Michael D. Greenfield <redear@infinet.com>
> To: Iris Talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
> Subject: [iris-talk] SPEC: Crested Iris
> Date: Thursday, April 29, 1999 4:22 PM
>
> From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
>
> I have been growing Crested iris for 20+ years. I have enjoyed them in
the
> wild for 40+.
>
> I have three blooms so far till I came home from work today. I  have
125+
>  blooms today.
>
> The surprise is four different  sports.  The original ones came from
> Tennessee and South central Ohio.
>
> 1-- light lavender blue falls and stds.  crest-white, yellow streak down
> middle, outer edge marked with dark  purple.          Blooms 2 " across
>

> 2---Same as above except one shade lighter and almost no purple markings
on
> outer edge of crest .
> Blooms 2 1/2 " across
>

> 4.--Same markings ( normal I think )   as number 1 but 3 shades darker.
> Blooms 1 /12 " across
>
> 5---Pale Violet stds, falls 3/4 white very light yellow streak in
> middle of crest. No dark markings at all
> Blooms 1 3/4 " across
>
> Are these Sports or bee crosses.  I plan to mark them to keep separate.
Any
> Comments.?  Seen this before?
>
> I knew there was two different shades. Which one was yours Christy H.(
sent
> her some)
>
> Mike Greenfield
> redear@infinet.com
> MVIS AIS  S.W. Ohio

> Wanting to get back in touch with old friends?
> http://www.onelist.com
> Get re-acquainted through a ONElist community.

Ultimate Swiss Army Knife ** Swiss Champ ** ONLY $44.95 Shipping Incl.
Never Get Stuck Again**Lg. Blade, Sm. Blade, Corkscrew, Scissors, pen
Chisel, Saw, Opener, Scaler. Great for Adventures or Father's Day!!!
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe12