Re: SPEC: Identification

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: AHKAtelier@aol.com
>
>Hi there!
>
>Does anyone know of a resource that I could look up to find a picture of a
>species iris I picked up at our Region 15 show/sale.
>It's labeled I. Unguequaris (I. Stylosa)

Allison, Iris unguicularis (correct spelling) is pictured on page 144 of
THE GARDENER'S IRIS BOOK.  Stylosa is an invalid name for this species,
sometimes encountered in the older literature.  Iris unguicularis blooms
from October to March depending on the clone.  The stems are around 8" to a
foot tall and the flowers usually some shade of violet, sometimes with
yellow on the petal backs.
The blossoms are extremely fragrant.  It prefers fairly limy,
not-too-fertile soil in a sheltered spot--up against a south-facing masonry
wall is ideal.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

Ultimate Swiss Army Knife ** Swiss Champ ** ONLY $44.95 Shipping Incl.
Never Get Stuck Again**Lg. Blade, Sm. Blade, Corkscrew, Scissors, pen
Chisel, Saw, Opener, Scaler. Great for Adventures or Father's Day!!!
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe12