Re: OT: weather and Oklahoma

From: "Perry Dyer" <pdyer@flash.net>

Hi Linda,

Glad you enjoyed the catalog.  I haven't even opened my e-mail for the past
4 or 5 days, scrambling to get the convention booklet finished and to the
printers.  600 copies being printed, 150 pages long.  I nearly
procrastinated long enough to screw it all up and we wouldn't have had a
convention booklet for next week's festivities!  Wouldn't that have been
embarrassing!!  We get it from the printers tomorrow and I'm immediately
going to the registrar's house (Mona French -- Hi Mona) with them with my
tail between my legs (you see, I had promised to have the booklet to her TWO
WEEKS ago, argh!).

Miss Kitty informed me, many years ago, that her namesake was to be a
turquoise Tall Bearded.  Well, thanks a lot.  With all the beautiful blues
produced the past 100 years, from Chivalry to Blue Sapphire to Rippling
River, you'd think a turquoise wouldn't be that big of a deal.  How many can
you name?  Navajo Jewel (Weiler) is as close as any TB I've seen, but it's
so incredibly tender (and early-blooming) that even this far south, we
rarely ever see it displayed on more than a 10" club of a stalk.  Such a
pity, because it's a pretty thing.  (And of course, there's the SDB, TuTu
Turquoise from my buddy, Paul Black).  So we picked a Planned Treasure
seedling.  Looked wonderful in Blanchard, but downright n-a-s-t-y here at
the new place last spring (you'll see it next week for yourself).  She's not
getting any younger, and I keep having life-threatening accidents, so we
decided we better roam the patch and pick one quick.  We both agreed on the
banded reverse yellow amoena that's almost a Border.  She's short (almost a
Border, but without the beard), and the horizontal falls remind me of her
dancing around the garden.  That's the story behind Kitty.  BTW, Kitty is
not her legal name, but I don't dare even *mention* her real name for fear
of reprisal from her.

The early-blooming Blyth TB's have been glorious:  Act Three (an improved,
deeper, prettier Edith Wolford), Harmonics (a Keppel-ish blue and white
plicata), and all those zany bicolored wonders (Witching, Pagan Mirth, and 3
or 4 others my brain can't pull up right now).  In the convention guests
here, Lowell Baumunk's new IB, Midsummer Night's Dream has been the early
star.  Magnificent.  His first introduction, if my memory serves me
correctly, and what a way to start a "hybridizing career".

>Anyhow, thank you so much for forwarding your catalog.  I received it
>yesterday and have been enjoying reading it.  Your mom is cuter than a
>ear!!  It's a lovely portrait and you are a good son to acknowledge what a
>wonderful mom she is.  Did she choose the iris you named for her?  I just
>wondered.  It's very pretty and thought she may have been particularly fond
>of it.

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!