Re: SPEC: Crested Iris

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Michael--I have at least 4 forms of cristata ranging from a very deep
violet through the usual "sky blue" to pure white.  In the light blue
forms, the purple marks around the crest may be present or absent.  I have
not found a lot of variability in Blue Ridge wild populations, but there
are a handful of named cultivars out there.

Do you grow any other crested species?  I have japonica, tectorum, milesii,
'Paltec' and gracilipes (the last one about to bloom now).  Iris lacustris
has not done at all well here in several attempts--I suspect our hot

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Start a new hobby.  Meet a new friend.
ONElist:  The leading provider of free e-mail list services!