TB:HIST:Elusive Turquoise and Loetitia Michaud

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/30/99 12:56:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pdyer@flash.net
writes:

<<  Miss Kitty informed me, many years ago, that her namesake was to be a
 turquoise Tall Bearded.  Well, thanks a lot.  With all the beautiful blues
 produced the past 100 years, from Chivalry to Blue Sapphire to Rippling
 River, you'd think a turquoise wouldn't be that big of a deal.  How many can
 you name?  >>

Oh, I totally understand where Miss Kitty is coming from! I have been
interested in turquoise in the garden for years and actively seeking info on
turquoise-y plants, of which there are few. Some of the stuff they say is
turquoise turns out to be simply blue, which, of course, is rare enough in
its true state. The little blue butterfly weed called Tweedia comes to mind
here. But some things are definitely turquoise, like the fruit of the
porcelainberry, and some of the Siberian irises. I like FINE TUNED for this
reason especially.

There is a rather remarkable unknown historic iris found around here that
HIPS ID Chairman Phil Edinger is mulling over these days which is clearly
turquoise when the bloom gets a bit of age on it. He was hoping that it would
turn out to be SOUV. DE LOETITIA MICHAUD (Millet, 1923) a very famous blue
that we have not yet found, but it shows PBF, and that ain't right. SDLM was
probably pretty tender, too, since it had lot of Ricardii in it. Elizabeth
Lawrence mentioned SDLM in "A Southern Garden", and HIPSoisie in her parts of
North Carolina should keep their eyes open for stunningly beautiful old light
blues. Phil thinks SDLM must be out there, and we want to find it.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

Has ONElist changed your life?
http://www.ONElist.com
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!