TB: Elusive Turquoise

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

From the Land of Enchantment, a quick reminder that turquoise, the stone
for which the color was named, comes in MANY different shades.

I dug out a favorite necklace -- a stacked fetish with about 100 small
birds carved from turquoise from different mines -- and checked some of
them against the RHS charts.  If you have a set of these cards, fan out #s
118, 120, 121, 123 and 124, then block the "D" chips to see the range of
colors of REAL turquoise.

RHS 118A, B, and C are described as "Indian Blue" in the RHS booklet . The
most intensely blue bird in my necklace closely matches RHS 118A.  There
are many others that are close to RHS 118B, some near 118C.  Of course,
most shades fall in between.

RHS 124A, B, C, and D are described as "Jade Green" in the RHS booklet.
The most intensely green bird in my necklace closely matches RHS 124A.
Again there are many birds in this color family, but none lighter than
124C.  Ironically, RHS 124D is described as "Pale Turquoise" in the
booklet, but none of my birds are that light.

Of course many birds match the chips on the intermediate cards [120, 121, &
123], but at least this gives you an idea of the range of shades.

Now what I'd REALLY love to see is a turquoise ground [RHS118B] marked with
lapis [RHS 95A].

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

What does Public Radio's "Ask Dr. Science Show" know that you don't...?
http://www.onelist.com
...That ONElist hosts the largest free e-mail lists on the Internet today!