Re: CULT: How to dry out bed?

One method of making a weed free flower bed or vegetable bed is to
use news paper.  My Irises are in a bed surrounded by land scape
timbers.  I layered news papers on the bottom, six layers thick or
more.  I do not plan on weeding.  The news paper will bio-degrade, in
the mean time it keeps the weeds and grass from growing in my Iris
bed.
Lucy Harris  zone 8a - Coastal North Carolina

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, George Schubert <schubert@i...> wrote:
> I have a good news - bad news problem.  Good news is there is no
drought this summer, so everything is nice and green (including the
lawn grass).  Bad news is time to divide my bed and I hate to work in
the wet ground and mess up the soil structure till winter freeze
thaws.  Some beds are already tilled, but have weeds starting to
germinate.  Others still need to be tilled.  Plan A is to go ahead
and do it anyway, at least in the tilled areas.  Plan B is the exotic
plan I dreamed up while cutting weeds in the hot sun; namely, cover a
section at a time with black plastic, which would keep the rain off
for a while, cook any weeds and weed seeds, fumigate the soil, and
kill any insect critters lurking therein.  The question is - will I
dry out the soil or just hold the moisture for a yet longer time?
Help!  I've got 90 clumps to divide and a bunch more on order for mid
to late August delivery.

> TIA,
> George
> zone 6 near Harpers Ferry, WV