ADMIN: Welcome Message

Rebroadcast for info.

Click on the "My eGroups" tab at the top left of the page (you may have
to sign in)

If you no longer wish to participate in iris-talk and want to stop
receiving email messages, you can unsubscribe from that page:

1. Look for the line that starts "iris-talk", and select "Unsubscribe"
from the pull-down list on the right in the column labeled "Delivery Options."

2. Click "Save Changes" . The community will no longer be listed on your
My eGroups, and you will no longer receive messages.

3. Note: you can suspend email delivery for a period, but remain a
member of the community, by choosing the "No Mail / Web only" option
from this menu.

Or to unsubscribe by Email:

1. From your email program, create a blank message.
3. Send the blank message

 DESCRIPTION

 discussion on garden irises. Both experienced irisarians and
 beginners are welcome. If you grow, breed, or study irises, or
 just want to join the conversation, you are invited to subscribe.

 1. INTRODUCTION

 iris-talk@eGroups.com was created on June 25th, 1998 by
 John Jones(jijones@ix.netcom.com) as a temporary adjunct to
 the IRIS-L@RT66.com owned by Tom Tadfor Little(telp@rt66.com).
 It has since replaced that list

 New subscribers are encouraged to post a message introducing
 themselves.  If you do so, please begin the subject line of your
 message with "OT-BIO: ", followed by your name, so that other
 list members will know it is your introductory message.

 2. POLICIES

 iris-talk@eGroups.com is an unmoderated list. This means the
 list owner does not personally review each message to decide
 if it's appropriate. This responsibility rests with the subscribers.

 Please note the following policies.

 These are not laws or restrictions, just suggested practices that
 (if most of us follow them) will make the list more useful,
 manageable, and pleasant for all. Please show your "good
 citizenship" by reading these guidelines, keeping them for
 reference, and using them when you post to the list.

 1) Junk Mail. Do not post messages that are circulating through
 the internet at large. This includes virus warnings, humor, chain
 letters, charity appeals, etc. This is not the place for them.

 2) Matters for the List Owner. If someone posts something you
 think is inappropriate, or if you want to make a comment
 regarding problems with the list culture or the list policies,
 you are encouraged to refer the matter to the list moderator, off-
 list (at jijones@ix.netcom.com), rather than posting to the list about
 it. This will keep our discussions more polite and also more
 iris-oriented. Be tolerant...even of those who do not follow
 these guidelines. Often it's best to just let it be.

 3) Potentially Offensive Subjects. Do not post anything with
 political or religious content, even if there is some tenuous
 connection with irises. Some people have very strong feelings on
 these topics, and there is no reason to risk starting a heated
 debate over something that is rather clearly off-topic to begin
 with. By the same rationale, avoid using profanity, even in jest.

 4) Flames. Do not flame! When does a discussion become a flame?
 That's a judgment call, of course. Examine your emotions as you
 type. If you're "worked up" over the message you're replying to,
 don't send. Wait a day and think it over.

 5) Subject Lines. CHECK the subject line before you send, even if
 you are replying to a previously posted message. If the subject
 line accurately reflects the content of your message, leave it
 alone! If it doesn't, change it!

 6) On-List/Off-List. CHECK the recipient line before you send. If
 it says "iris-talk@eGroups.com" the posting will go to each and every
 subscriber on the list. Often, this is what you want. But if the
 message is personal, off-topic, or of very limited interest, it
 should probably be sent to one (or a few) particular recipients,
 off-list.

 7) Attachments. Do not send binary attachments, such as digitized
 images, to the list.

 8) Message Length. Watch the size of your message. When replying
 to a previously posted message, trim the quotation down to the
 minimum needed to establish context.

 9) Subject Tags. Use the official subject tags (see below)
 whenever possible.

 10) Try not to bother the list with something you can easily
 find on your own, without involving 300 other people.

 b. Subject Tags

 Here is the list of subject tags, which I encourage everyone to
 use to preface the subject lines of their messages to iris-talk.
 Please use the tags as they are given; do not invent variations.
 If the practice loses its consistency, it will also lose much of
 its usefulness. I know this is a long listing, but that is a
 reflection of the breadth and variety of our discussions. Don't
 be intimidated; they will become quickly familiar after a short
 time. Try to use the tag that fits your message best. It is often
 appropriate to combine a tag from the first set (types of irises)
 with one from another set. If nothing fits, don't worry. Pick the best
you can.

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*
 welcome!)
 TRADE: Posts to the list offering trades or looking for a particular
iris. Replies to these posts should be made off-list privately to the
original sender.

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)
 ADMIN: list administration issues (reserved for the list owner)

 3.ARCHIVES

 A copy of every message sent to iris-talk@eGroups.com is kept in the
 iris-talk archives. There are two archive locations. The first is
 maintained be eGroups and may be accessed through the eGroups homepage at:

 http://www.eGroups.com

 and clicking on the "Find a List" button at the upper left of the
 page. Enter "iris-talk" into the search window, click search. Then
 click on the name of the list, and select archives. The eGroups
 archives are a collection of the daily message digests. The search
 engine is not very utilitarian.

 The second archive is orders of magnitude more useful. It is kept at:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-talk/

 This is a combined archive of all Iris-L messages and all iris-talk
 messages stored and accessed as individual messages. The search engine
 is full featured and capable of complex search criteria.

 4. SUMMARY (IMPORTANT):

 iris-talk@eGroups.com is the LIST ADDRESS, used when you want

 being who is your point of contact for questions or problems.

 Enjoy the list!

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: