Any Raccoons in the area?  Or Skunks?  At the edge of the city, where we
are, there are many Raccoons and Skunks, and it is amazing what they can
climb over, dig under, squeeze through--and I have trouble constantly with
an old Raccoon who is so big and fat he(?) can hardly waddle around--but he
got  into the back yard almost every night and left me a pile  in the same
spot on the lawn--so I finally used my Mom's idea--bought a can of Cayenne
and sprinkled it liberally around--sometime in the middle of the night,
heard some really funny sounds--turned on the light and there he
was--rolling around on the lawn--trying to reach his backside-- and making
really weird sounds--guess he had sat on the Cayenne--I know he was unhappy
for a while--but have not seen him since!!!
Cayenne also works on Cats and Deer--and Mothballs and orange peels--
At our club garden, we planted hundreds of Tulips--which looked great--until
the squirrels found them--the squirrels dug up the Iris, looking for the
Tulips--and since the tulips are now replaced by Daffodils(which squirrels
do not eat) there is no more digging in the Iris beds--
Good luck in finding out if it is a critter--and good hunting!!!
Carryl in western Montana--zone 3/4  where it is too hot to plant new Iris,
so am taking the suggestion and potting them till it is cooler