Re: CULT: How to dry out bed?

I filled the flower & veggie beds with compost and planted on top of
the news paper. Better Homes & Garden magazine is where I saw this
idea.  The compost I got for free at the local landfills.  Being a on
the move military family, I have had to keep landlords happy, by not
tearing up their yards.  Upon moving I only had to rake off the
compost and toss down grass seed.  Each time I did this the news
paper was bio-degraded and giving away the composted dirt was easy.
The only weeds I had to pull were the seeds that germinated.  With
the loose compost these weeds came out easy.  We are retiring and all
my perminate flower & veggie beds have been started the same way.
I 'putter weed' every few days.  For me this is the way to garden.
Lucy Harris  zone 8a - Coastal North Carolina

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/486170/_/965217801/