Re: CULT: beginner's questions

Jan Clark wrote:

> I'm sure there are many who would be happy to answer beginner's questions,
> myself included. We must remember though, that advice given might not be
> relevent, or, in some cases may not even be correct, depending on the
> advisers expertise, and on their location.
[snip]
> Just an idea - could we put some relevant cultural details for various types
> of irises, on the shared files page at egroups. Perhaps a list of suppliers
> would be appropriate in another file. We could the refer newbies to the
> 'beginners' pages for a good read, and they could ask their questions from
> there.

If someone would want to compose or collect information or weblinks to
various places, I will be glad to set it up so that every new subscriber
gets sent the message (separate from the Welcome Message). The trick is
to segregate the advice into the 4 -5-or 6 different types of
environments since there is no one-for-all set of guidelines. They
should be crafted into advice based on season (winter, spring etc) so
that they can apply to both hemispheres. I might even be able to get
permission from Maryotts, or the AIS to copy their booklets as a basis.
There are certainly sites that have cultural advice already, so maybe
all we need to do is collect info. Is there a volunteer?

Some time ago a lister volunteered to update the list of iris growers
that was compiled several years ago. Unfortunately, that individual
never completed that job. If someone would like to step up to the bar
and redo the list let me know and I can provide the base list that needs
to be updated. I could make that availale on my website, the iris-talk
egroups file archive, as another welcome message, and any place some one
wanted to post it.. Any takers?

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: