Re: Re: CULT: How to dry out bed?

>I filled the flower & veggie beds with compost and planted on top of
>the news paper. Better Homes & Garden magazine is where I saw this
>idea.  The compost I got for free at the local landfills.  Being a on
>the move military family, I have had to keep landlords happy, by not
>tearing up their yards.  Upon moving I only had to rake off the
>compost and toss down grass seed.  Each time I did this the news
>paper was bio-degraded and giving away the composted dirt was easy.
>The only weeds I had to pull were the seeds that germinated.  With
>the loose compost these weeds came out easy.  We are retiring and all
>my perminate flower & veggie beds have been started the same way.
>I 'putter weed' every few days.  For me this is the way to garden.
>Lucy Harris  zone 8a - Coastal North Carolina

I use this method a lot Lucy. The looseness of the soil makes weeding very
easy, and like you, I weed as I go. I have had some interesting things grow
from imported compost. One year, I had 12 buddleia davidii seedlings, which
I gave to my friends. Unfortunately I have also introduced a few unpleasant
weeds. Moving to a new garden allows you to leave these weeds behind, and
start fresh :-)
Cheers, Jan Clark