Re: LA: grasshopper's preference

Tom asks,

>2.)  A second area of inquiry is the issue of grasshopper damage to
>Louisiana iris foliage.  I saw some interesting patterns this year.  For
>example, if you had grasshopper damage...did the Louisiana SPECIES suffer
>more than the hybrids?
Unlike Pat in Dallas, grasshoppers preferred the LAs over all other irises,
though they damaged all types except the unguicularis.  The only species
I grow is I. fulva and there doesn't seem to be any difference in how it
fared as compared to the hybrid LAs.  To a one they have only managed
to get about an inch above ground level, often all disappearing completely
for a day or two before they reemerge with new growth.  So far, all seemed
to have survived and continue to put out that new growth.  But I think some
store of energy must have been expended and is still being spent in this
process.  I guess bloom next spring will tell the story provided the deer
leave them alone after the grasshoppers are gone.  Deer also prefer the
LAs over the other iris types.  Even above daylilies.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7, USA

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....