Re: Re: CULT: How to dry out bed?

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-talk@egroups.com

Lucy Harris wrote:
>I filled the flower & veggie beds with compost and planted on top of
>the news paper. <

Lucy,

I use a different approach with newspapers -  I plant veggies in the
ground, then when we mow the lawn, I place newspapers between the rows and
put the fresh grassclippings on top of them.  This holds them down when the
wind blows, plus keeps the grassclippings from breaking down during the
summer.

I had never thought to use them UNDER my plants - I'll try that for my
iris, because I don't mulch them.  It should help hold the moisture in
during the hot summer months.  My iris bed is sandy and nutrients and
moisture just head for China.

Mickey Corley
Bethany, OK     Zone 6/7

Get FREE LIVE predictions from astrologers and psychics!
Let Excite help guide your future!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7728/0/_/486170/_/965470675/