Re: CULT: drying out beds

Betty in Kentucky said:
> Linda, clear plastic might work if you are talking about empty beds.  (You
> have to watch that clay doesn't become brick!) If anyone is trying to dry out
> beds that already contain irises to minimize the chance of rot, the results
> would be boiled irises.  I doubt we want that.

Someone had posted a question about drying out soil enough to till new
beds, I think.  The thread wandered to other things and I don't remember
there being a reply.

I don't remember whether I used black, clear, or blue reinforced poly
(probably not the latter - I don't think that was around at the time).

> There's a big difference in February and August.

Well, yes, unless you are comparing February in USA to August in

As for tillage & baked clay - the intent is not to dry the soil, only to
make it dry enough to till.

Another tip - if the bed has living weeds in it (especially great if it
has sod), uncover it when it's sunny & let the plants pump water out of
the ground, then re-cover it when expecting more rain.  Roundup of
course, but let them work till they die <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8