Re: CULT: Seedling question

>Any ideas what causes the seedlings to reach the point at which
>they put on increase?  Genetics, cultivation, weather, age?  Donald Eaves

From what little experience I have, I am sure all 4 factors have some
Genetics - some crosses put out more increase than others. Some seedlings
within a cross put out more increase than their siblings.

Size - the more advanced seedlings do seem to be the first to put out
increase, but some large, well grown seedlings don't increase until their
second year. Small seedlings may sometimes start to increase before larger
ones, but this seems to relate more closely to the cross, so has a genetic

Cultivation - I have had plants from the same cross growing in different
conditions. Those in the poorer soil start to increase later than their
healthier siblings, but once shifted, they put on a growth spurt, and often
catch up. (The shift doesn't set them back, so long as the roots are not
disturbed too much)

Weather - I have no experience with weather differences, so I can't comment.

Age - they definitely reach an age where many of them start to increase,
unless other factors have delayed their development.

Hope that helps, and i would like to hear comments from other listers. I am
specifically talking about bearded irise, although I think the same would
apply to my PCI seedlings.
Cheers, Jan Clark, Australia (zone 9)