Re: LaIris: Grasshoppers and other "Crawlers"

I've seen a lot of grasshopper damage the last few years.  It's only
moderate in the the LAs this year and I don't see any difference between the
LA species and the hybrids.

My most severe damage is on the Siberians and I. pseudacorus.  The spurias
also have heavy damage. The bearded irises are about the same as the LAs.
Two summers ago I had grasshoppers eat some bearded irises down to the

> 2.)  A second area of inquiry is the issue of grasshopper damage to
> Louisiana iris foliage.  I saw some interesting patterns this year.  For
> example, if you had grasshopper damage...did the Louisiana SPECIES suffer
> more than the hybrids?

Rodney Barton

North Central Texas USA
USDA Zone 7/8
AHS heat zone 8
Annual rainfall 32 in.
Mean annual temp 65 deg.
Mean length of frost free period 230 days

North American Native Iris web site:

Thinking about buying a house? Start with the Power of Yes.
It's put thousands of people into the homes of their choice.
Now it's your turn. Get your "Yes" at: