COMP: Web Site Hosts

Message text written by Linda Mann:

Thanks Sharon!

Only now I'm really curious as to why you've not moved all your stuff to
FreePages?
<

1.      Consistency.  My GeoCities site has been up for several years.
It's been linked from other iris pages and bookmarked by frequent visitors
so I don't want to pull a disappearing act.  The GeoCities/Yahoo service
agreement prohibits using their space as merely a gateway to another ISP --
which didn't seem like a problem when I set up my site because I didn't
have anything else to link to -- but if I were to move the content now I
couldn't simply rework the home page to send incoming traffic to the new
site.  To conform to their rules I'd have to leave the GeoCities site
intact and add some discreet links to additional material on the new site.
Of course I could structure the new site so that, once there, the visitor
would encounter only links to the new version.   Inconvenient for me, and a
considerable amount of work with no reduction in expenses, but certainly
doable.

2.      Protocol.  Anytime you move an existing web to a new ISP you'd
better make sure that its protocol is compatible with that of its
predecessor.  Geocities/Yahoo was my first site and I built it using their
tools, following their protocol, and emulating other sites whose features I
liked.  This included the use of mixed-case file names, which I found much
easier to read than run-on names and easier to key than those using "_" as
a separator.  NOW, I know better and stick to lower case file names on my
newer sites.  But my iris site has grown to 792 files and 4,975 links --
and I don't want to even THINK about the work that would be involved in
renaming that many files and resetting all those links!  It's much easier
to just roll with the punches that Geocities/Yahoo throws from time to
time.

I believe that the original question was regarding FREE space available for
setting up new web sites.  For that purpose, from personal experience, I
recommend FreePages over GeoCities/Yahoo.  I'm sure there are other viable
options and certainly encourage anyone who wants to set up a new site to
explore them.  But when you're surfin', and learning what's available out
there, I hope you'll remember that my GeoCities/Yahoo site is NOT the free
version.

Finally, it is my practice to answer questions that come through the list
on-list but to answer those that come off-list in private -- and Linda & I
have certainly carried on our share of off-list correspondence.  At this
point, though, I think we've strayed far enough from the topic of iris that
I'd like to ask anyone who has further questions to write me off-list
rather than subject all of our subscribers to a discussion of such limited
interest.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

Spend your money on the things you enjoy…NOT your bills.
Join beMANY! get LOW rates on your long distance TODAY.
Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6840/0/_/486170/_/965731664/