Re: SPEC: I.virginica seed

>I'm new to this, so please bear with me. Have collected some roadside
>seed that I think is I. virginica, though might be versicolor. Does
>it need to be stratified, or can it just be kept dry for planting out
>in the fall? I'm in NE North Carolina, adjacent to the Outer Banks on
>the mainland. Zone 8.

My guess is that most wildflower seeds in your area do not require
stratification to germinate.  It sounds like you're in a spot with mild
winters?  However, if you do stratify them I suspect they will germinate in
a more orderly manner (all at the same time).

Here in Cincinnati (Zone 6) it's dangerous to plant wildflower seeds
(including irises) too early in the fall, because if we get an extended
Indian summer then they'll start to germinate, and then soon get zapped by
the next winter freeze.  So I have learned to plant my seeds in early
winter (December or January) so that they don't germinate prematurely.
Come spring time, they all tend to sprout within a couple weeks of each

Good luck!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6