OT-BIO - Nyla Hughes

Just a line from the jungles of Missouri  (well, this year, maybe "swamp") to introduce myself, now that I've un-lurked. I've been farming in the same half-acre suburban yard for 35 years now.  I've been a member of AIS and local iris societies (Greater St. Louis) for several years, and probably would have joined sooner, had not the borers destroyed my irises every time I built up a good  collection.  I still have not finished landscaping, as things keep changing, but don't want to take all the space for irises, as I also like shade, my perennial borders, spring meadow, bulb border, water gardens, wild garden, etc. And as I work full time, I don't really have time to take care of all I have now.  Yes, I need to retire!

Thus, while I enjoy hybridizing, I'm not nearly organized enough or ruthless enough on pitching, and don't have nearly the space I need for seedlings. I have a couple beds of SDBs, about 30 MTBs, a raised bed of rebloomers (4' x 40'), a patch of Louisianas, three beds of JIs, a planting of Siberians lining a path (with peach daylilies which threaten to overwhelm them), and in the main iris garden--3 rows of IBs (severely weed-impaired), 1 row of BBs, and the rest TBs and seedlings.  I'm trying a few aril-medians, but with all the rain we've had this year...  So almost anything you have to say, I find interesting.  Now, can I go back to lurking and learning?  (Yes, Dorothy--and editing the Medianite.)

Nyla Hughes
Webster Groves, MO, N. edge of Zone 6, just within the broad-leaf evergreen belt, but in the active center of iris borer activity!