Re: OT: List Traffic - Temporary Bye

>The main reason I need to leave is that I am on a number of different
>lists, but none with the volume of this one.

The volume of this list has declined considerably in the last few months, to
an average of 23 per day, some of which I am not even receiving. At the same
time we have people pleading (myself included) for newbies to join in, and
talk about irises.
This would increase the volume considerably, and to my mind, make for a
better list.

>Anyway, I thought it would be nice to offer to provide a list that was
>an almost exact copy of iris-talk, but with only iris related stuff on

You would be happy to read every letter, and decide which ones have iris
related content and which don't? You would then be stuck with the problem of
having to read every post. I'm sure there would be many, many complaints (or
flames) from people who felt they had been unjustly treated.

There have been a couple of attempts to get new iris lists off the ground,
which allow people to talk about whatever they wish (B5, snow dumps,
motorbikes, whatever) These don't seem to be hugely successful, so it is
clear that 500+ people want to be here. Has anyone tried to start a list
where only iris related stuff is allowed?
I think most people would agree that this group thrives on the familiarity
that has developed over the years, because people engage in occassional non
iris related topics.

Cheers, Jan Clark

PS - John - have we ever had a survey to find out what proportion would
prefer this list to have absolutely no non-iris content?