RE: COMP:Lost Messages

Jan,

First, you blame it on eGroups, because other lists have people complaining
of missing messages, then, you shoot your argument pretty well dead when you
say that messages you have sent have gone missing.

E-mail is a pretty funky thing.  While most of it goes through, and goes
promptly, some of it does not.  If you send two messages at the same time to
the same place, there is no guarantee that both will take the same route to
get there.  One could hit a road block going through a router, and the other
get directed around that router to another one and a whole different route.
Meanwhile, the road blocked message will languish until the way is made
clear again, and finally show up.  I have had messages that were delivered
to me in mere seconds from halfway around the globe, and those that have
languished for a day or more from somewhere virtually next door to me.
Unless there is some catastrophe along the route, a message will eventually
make it to its destination, or the sender will be notified that it hasn't,
and why.

I've had the same fate as others on this list, where it seems like one is
suddenly in the middle of an exchange, only to find that the starting
message was delivered hours, or a day, later (I sort my mail by received
time).  Put about as much faith in e-mail as you do in snail mail (never
fear--the junk will always be delivered <g>).

FWIW, I have been dealing with e-mail since the mid '80s.  It has gotten
better.

\\Steve//
For tropical fish and aquariums in MA, visit:
http://www.petsforum.com/was/
If you are in the DC Metro area, visit:
http://www.pvas.com
If your interest lies in dogs, visit: