List Owner:  fishadmin
subscribe:  mailto:fishadmin-subscribe@egroups.com
Visit my family at:

-----Original Message-----
From: ChatOWhitehall@aol.com [mailto:ChatOWhitehall@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 10:23 PM
To: iris-talk@egroups.com
Subject: [iris-talk] CULT: Heavying Up Too Light "Soil"

I've got a raised bed for bearded irises and after Henry made it for me by
excavating down into the gravel of the parking area at the back of my
property and then installing treated lumber barriers I filled it with a
commercial 100% organic mix that I have used with great success in pots for
irises, mixed with some sand. The mix is very friable and I discover that I
actually could use something in there to heavy it up and slow run-through of
water and whatnot. Now, compost isn't the answer since what is in there is
basically compost. Sand isn't the answer since sand has the bizarre habit of
both providing extreme drainage and also remaining moist. Commercial topsoil
is a possibility and I may have to go that route although what is available
around here in small quantity is pretty gruesome, sludgy, and of
unmentionable origins. The local garden center has a bagged product I use a
lot of in the garden called "Compost and Manure" and it runs on the heavy
side, but it obviously contains manure. I could stand to score a few bushels
of clay, but that is hardly something anyone sells around here, for sure.
Anybody got any obscure tricks about heavying up soil with products
available commercially in comparatively small quantitites?

Anner, in Virginia

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Apply NOW!
1. Fill in the brief application
3. Get rates as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!