Re: CULT: Heavying Up Too Light "Soil"

>The mix is very friable and I discover that I
>actually could use something in there to heavy it up and slow run-through
>of
>water and whatnot.

I don't know whether either of the following are of any use to you, but the
two methods I have used are:

1. before filling the area with soil, line with a thick layer of newspaper,
and pads of alfalfa hay, about 3" thick. The hay breaks down in a short
time, and the irises put their roots down into this yummy mix, which retains
more moisture than the soil above.

2. add 1:6 well rotted mushroom compost, to the soil, and dig in well. This
is fairly alkaline, so not suitable for all irises.

Cheers, Jan