Re: CULT: Heavying Up Too Light "Soil"

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:

> I've got a raised bed for bearded irises and after Henry made it for me by
> excavating down into the gravel of the parking area at the back of my
> property and then installing treated lumber barriers I filled it with a
> commercial 100% organic mix that I have used with great success in pots for
> irises, mixed with some sand. The mix is very friable and I discover that I
> actually could use something in there to heavy it up and slow run-through of
> water and whatnot. Now, compost isn't the answer since what is in there is
> basically compost. Sand isn't the answer since sand has the bizarre habit of
> both providing extreme drainage and also remaining moist. Commercial topsoil
> is a possibility and I may have to go that route although what is available
> around here in small quantity is pretty gruesome, sludgy, and of
> unmentionable origins. The local garden center has a bagged product I use a
> Anner, in Virginia
> ChatOWhitehall

Anner how about trying to speak with one of the local construction
companies to see if they have been digging clay. Clay makes good soil
when it's mixed correctly with organic material. Need small lumps of it
in your soil mixture.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.