HIST: Dykes Medals

Sorry about the previous fragmentary post. I hit the send button in error
before I finished. Anner
--------------

<<A friend of mine who is head of Cheekwood Gardens in Nashville needs some
up
to date information on the Dykes medals worldwide.   The only book he has is
quite old and only contains info. on England.   How many are there now and
what areas do they encompass.   Are the rules the same in each one? >>

Pat,

The Dykes Memorial Medals are awarded by the British Iris Society.

There is currently a British Dykes Medal, an American Dykes Medal, and an
Australian Dykes Medal. In the past there was a French Dykes Medal, but it
was discontinued. The American Dykes Medal is awarded upon recommendation of
the Board of Directors of AIS. I do not know the selection criteria of the
other medals. As you know, a list of Dykes Medals for America and France will
be found on the HIPS page at http://www.worldiris.com.

The Director of Cheekwood should seek an authoritative answer to his
question. I would think that would necessarily need to come from the British
Iris Society itself. I encourage you to contact George Sutton, our AIS
Bulletin International News Editor, and ask for a current contact name and
mailing address.

And I would mention that an excellent Nashville resource for information on
all aspects of garden irises is Greg McCullough of Iris City Gardens.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS
HIPSource@aol.com