BULT : How long out of ground

Amy wrote:
>Any ideas would be appreciated. I am thinking about moving them in just
>layers of paper, but wonder how long they can stay out of the ground?
>I also am looking for ideas on how to amend the beds? I am going to do
>raised beds in Central TX for all the Iris- since the soil is 1' deep, then

Mmmmm... how long can they stay out of the beds....?

I'm embarrased to say that due to circumstances beyond my control I had to
lift a large amount of my irises mid-march, then in early April
I got sick and have been sick until the last fornight.  Tonight I was
checking on the bags of irises in my garage (which I check fairly regularly)
and have started soaking a few of the rhizomes for potting in the next
couple of days.

Now these rhizomes have been out of the ground in bags for approaching 6
months.  Not one of the ones I checked this evening have died.  They are
unhappy certainly, but I am confident that in 12 months these will be as
happy as any of my others.  They won't flower this year, but they'll
re-establish themselves fine.

Of course.... I haven't checked Copatonic (my favourite) yet.  I lost track
of it in the move.... I know it's bag is in there but I haven't found it
(There's more than 150 bags here I might add) and it is CERTAIN to have died
<grin... probably the only one to do so>.

Just thought you might like to know that they are somewhat resilient.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia
USDA equivalent approx Zone 8