Re: CULT: Heavying Up Too Light "Soil"

In a message dated 8/10/00 10:37:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< Could you skim off some of what you have to about 6" and then put
 a layer of the "Compost and Manure" down and mix it in?  After that
 you could put what you had skimmed off back on top to plant the
 rhizomes and roots in something without too much manure.  >>

I might try that. I've been trying to keep the planting medium in there as
'pure' as possible, that is minimize the possibility of soil-borne problems
by minimizing the amount of soil, but something needs to give. Last time we
got a prolonged hot spell, which are not rare in the Commonwealth of Virginia
although this has been, overall, a cool summer, there was not one particle of
moisture in there, except at one end where I have a wad of sand that did not
get mixed in very well and that was actually trying to grow some moss. Time
to dig the sucker up and mix. Going to pitch in some more alphabits, too. Of
course they don't break down to anything very substantial either.

Thanks, Donald.

Anner, in Virginia