Iris CULT, Planting in pots, buckets etc

I might have asked this question before, but I do not recall receiving an
answer.  I was wondering if I can plant some IB Rhizones in pots etc.
I believe that I was told that they could be planted in pots, my big question
is that I live in Zone 6 and it does get cold and freeze. Can I leave the
IRIS in the pots, do I have to take them in.  Can I put them in the cellar?
Can I leave them outside next to the house on the south side covered over
with leaves and straw?  Pls advise.

Gloria  Zone 6 in Little RI