Re: CULT: sources of clay

In a message dated 8/11/00 7:29:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmann@mailhub.icx.net writes:

<< Ideal would be allophane type clay (usually volcanic in origin), but I
don't think they use that to make pots.  My brain isn't sharing with me at
the moment - other
 types are ..kaolinite... >>

I think kaolin is the type used for most pottery, although the formulation of
clay bodies for various fired substances is apparently a rather complex
subject. I had a friend who was a ceramicist, did beautiful celadon, genius
stuff, national reputation. She was so good at it that at 40 she was nigh
perfect, at which point she bagged pots and went to medical school. Anyway,
her master's thesis in ceramics involved chemically formulating a unique clay
body for specific applications.

Neat idea, though. I might make a couple of calls for curiosity's sake

Anner, in Virginia