Re: Rocky Ground

< The ground is rocky there and it is very hard to find enough dirt to cover
the roots let alone the rizhomes!  I  go rob dirt from the veggie garden
just to anchor the roots sometimes! They all do great here except the few at
the lower end of the new moon where it tapers off to the point. These grow
and show no signs of bugs, boreres, rot, or anything , they just dont
bloom??? >

Howdy all,

My first iris garden here in Canberra was chipped down into the solid clay
(literally with a crowbar) and then built up a few inches.  The whole garden
when complete may have had 5 inches depth of useable soil, with a solid bowl
of clay underneath.

The garden was around 2.5m long by 1/2 a metre wide.  I left them in the
ground the following year as I'd planted them reasonably apart to let them
clump.... a top dressing of sheep manure was all they got that year.

67 spikes the second year in the ground, with 5 inches of soil and clay
underneath. They certainly don't need much to reward you.  I think that
might have been what hooked me in the first place.  I have NEVER got as good
a flowering since then in any of my properly prepared gardens.  They
probably need some stress to make them flower (make them think they're going
to die if they don't!!)

So.... rest assured, you don't need to steal too much soil from the veggie
garden <grin>.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia
USDA equivalent approx Zone 8