    From: Paul Tyerman <tyerman@hotmail.com>
    To: iris-talk@egroups.com <iris-talk@egroups.com>
    Date: Friday, August 11, 2000 12:07 PM
    Subject: [iris-talk] Re: Rocky Ground

    < The ground is rocky there and it is very hard to find enough dirt to cover
    the roots let alone the rizhomes!  I  go rob dirt from the veggie garden
    just to anchor the roots sometimes! They all do great here except the few at
    the lower end of the new moon where it tapers off to the point. These grow
    and show no signs of bugs, boreres, rot, or anything , they just dont
    bloom??? >

    Howdy all,

    My first iris garden here in Canberra was chipped down into the solid clay
    (literally with a crowbar) and then built up a few inches.  The whole garden
    when complete may have had 5 inches depth of useable soil, with a solid bowl
    of clay underneath.

    The garden was around 2.5m long by 1/2 a metre wide.  I left them in the
    ground the following year as I'd planted them reasonably apart to let them
    clump.... a top dressing of sheep manure was all they got that year.

    67 spikes the second year in the ground, with 5 inches of soil and clay
    underneath. They certainly don't need much to reward you.  I think that
    might have been what hooked me in the first place.  I have NEVER got as good
    a flowering since then in any of my properly prepared gardens.  They
    probably need some stress to make them flower (make them think they're going
    to die if they don't!!)

    So.... rest assured, you don't need to steal too much soil from the veggie
    garden <grin>.

    Cheers...

    Paul Tyerman
    Canberra, Australia