Re: TB: I. germanica?

> From: Jan Clark <janclarx@hotmail.com>
> Hi all,
> The little iris in the local Bot. gardens has been flowering non stop for

> the last 3 months. It is tall growing, with a small flower about the size

> and form of my I. germanica. The flower is a rich purple with no haft
> markings, almost as dark as SABLE NIGHT (photo on the HIPS page)
> The beards are pure white, and faily thin, but set the flower of
> beautifully.

The deep purple form of I. germanica as it blooms here has typical
germanica haft marks and only blooms during the main iris season in the
spring, and certainly not for three months even then. Perhaps what you have
been seeing is CRIMSON KING (Barr, 1893), which reportedly blooms nearly
year round in parts of California.