Re: HYB: Punnett square question

> From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
> MARY McCLELLAN is a disenrolled arilbred, being listed as 1/8 onco.
> The aril ancestry derives from the pod parent BLUE OX which was a
> cross of ACROPOLIS (I assume a TB?) x C.G. White oncobred (I
> assume a 1/4 bred?)  In order to put this in a Punnett square to
> calculate the odds of seedling resulting from a cross of MMc x 1/4 bred,
> would the following be correct?

Mary McClellan is listed as a 1/8 onco. Its parent BLUE OX was therefore a
1/4 bred (the other parent of MMc was CHIVALRY, a straight bred TB). BLUE
OX's parent were ACROPOLIS, a straight bred TB, and a C.G. White oncobred,
which would have been a 1/2 bred, not a 1/4 bred.

> AA AA AA Aa if 'A' is TB and 'a' arilbred?  Also, is there a standard
> method of putting the pod/pollen parents on a specific axis of the
> square?

I don't think you can represent MMc this way, since it is a tetraploid, not
an octoploid. MMc would be either AAAA or AAAa for a given tetrad of
chromosomes. Probabilistically half the chromosome tetrads would be of one
kind and half of the other. However, Sharon McAllister has stated that this
sort of quantum model does not very accurately represent the way in which
genetic material is passed down in interspecific crosses, if I understand
what she has tried to explain.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

"Is It Time To Re-Establish Your Credit? Do You Have $900.00
Gross Monthly Income? Over 18? US Resident? No Credit Turndowns!
Apply Now For Your Magna Plus Visa Card."
http://click.egroups.com/1/8335/0/_/486170/_/966054735/