Re:CULT:potting Iris

If I cannot plant the rhizomes in the place where they should be, I plant
them in gallon pots, and then dig a trench, about 2/3 as deep as the pot,
and put the pots in the trench, filling the dirt around them. I have done
this with bearded Iris, Siberians, Spurias, Specie--with no problem--some of
the Spurias were in their pots for almost two years, and it did not phase
them at all--I am growing a Japanese in a 5 gallon pot--with no problems--
I am in zone 3/4 and the ground freezes about a foot deep--usually with no
snow cover--
and I do not cover the pots or mulch them--
Carryl in western Montana--where the wind came from somewhere and blew most
the smoke away--saw the sun today for the first time in 4 days