Re: Animal Droppings

>I have been told that rabbit droppings can be used on iris straight out
>of the pens without the need for composting. Can anyone confirm or
>refute this??
>
>Dave Silverberg

Dear Dave,
    This I believe is true.   I help my son raise Netherland Dwarf rabbits
for one of his
4-H projects.    One of the benefits we have is that the rabbit droppings in
the barn are saved and routed to my iris beds... any time of the year.
They are also good for the rose beds, and for any other garden bed.   Rabbit
droppings do not "fall apart" as quickly as you might want in the garden bed
and may take longer to decompose in order to provide plant nutrients...  I
don't use them alone, I combine with other compost.   Most rabbit growers
feed their rabbits Purina or other quality rabbit food which is primarily
made from alfalfa.   This may be similar to gardeners who like to put
alfalfa pellets straight into their garden beds.  (p.s. if you want to use
alfalfa pellets, get pure alfalfa pellets and do not purchase rabbit food,
because rabbit food includes supplements that are not needed for the garden
and would be more expensive.)
     I can't resist the opportunity to say how excited I am today of my
son's other 4-H accomplishment.   This week is our local county fair, and
Marc showed his Angus market beef... and won Grand Champion Beef over both
FFA and 4-H classes.   Tomorrow's the auction...  I'm not sure how much I'll
sleep tonight!
     I will say it's been much easier to gather the rabbit pellets for the
iris garden than anything from the Angus.
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/486170/_/966063433/