CULT: Animal Droppings

--- Dave Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net> wrote:
> I have been told that rabbit droppings can be used on
> iris straight out
> of the pens without the need for composting. Can anyone
> confirm or
> refute this??
>
> Dave Silverberg
> Molalla, Oregon USA zone 7/8ish

   As you can see from my new subject heading, animal
droppings are a subject for cult worship...
   I know someone in DE who uses fresh rabbit pellets (on
all types of iris) and they grow great for her. Her sister
uses fresh horse manure, also with great effect. BUT (and
this is a big but, no pun intended), their soil is fairly
light and sandy, which probably reduces the chances of rot.
I would be worried about using fresh manure of any type on
bearded irises in heavy soil.

=====
Vince Lewonski
vincelewonski@yahoo.com
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
"I want to be Bob Dylan; Mr. Jones wishes he were someone just a little more funky..."