Re: HYB: Punnett Square Question

Thanks a lot, Sharon!
>The Punnett Square is normally applied to a single locus, and used to
>identify the combinations of alleles obtainable from two given parents and
>the ratios in which they occur.  As a simple mathematical tool, however, it
>can certainly be adapted for use in the manner Donald Eaves has suggested.
I knew it wasn't usually used in the way I was trying, but it seemed to be
an easy fast way to put on paper what I might be looking for in the MARY
McCLELLAN cross (pod parent in this case).  Also, I thought it might be
a useful tool to use in a more conventional manner, in a simplified way,
and then see what appeared in the seedlings that don't fit.  Sort of a
slow learning method, maybe, but it probably would cause me to examine
the result and learn the answer for the difference.  Maybe a method for
determining the presence of recessive and modifying factors which might
cause variances.  That information might allow me to focus more
I'm trying to use the square as a tool to progress with.  Possible?

As a new pollen dauber, I'm primarily driven by curiosity.  I am obviously
curious about those disqualified arilbreds.  Pat Norvell had a wonderful
speciman of SCARLET BUTTERFLY blooming in Dallas.  I was quite
taken with it and am itching to attempt a cross.  Unfortunately, the
blooms were in Dallas, not here.  The aril ancestry was obvious, though.
Those characteristics are not so obvious in MARY McCLELLAN, but
your comments about Tom Craig's selection preferences gives me a
bit more optimism.  Maybe MMc was just too good to not introduce,
or maybe he knew the parents and thus knew what he was seeing.
In any case, since the pollen parent was SATAN'S MISTRESS, which
also does not show strong aril traits, I am truthfully hoping that a more
obvious aril trait makes an appearance if I can successfully grow some
to bloom size.

And what about markers?  In doing chromosome counts, would a known
aril ancestor's chromosomes have to have been recorded to identify such
a marker?

Thanks again.  The quantum system is too simplistic for me, though it
is useful for fast categorization.  On the other hand, I haven't been able
to retain enough of the more detailed information to apply it or get it all
sorted out.  So I'm sort of stuck in a gray, murky area in a perpetual
state of dissatisfaction knowing what I don't know without quite having
the time to get a reasonable grasp on some obviously needed basics.
Cattle genetics is much easier, I think!

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7

Missing old school friends? Find them here: