CULT: Growing Irises in Florida

In a message dated 8/12/00 12:42:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
reneenoble@earthlink.net writes:

<< Good morning to everyone!  I am new to this group and would like some
 information regarding irises.  I would like put start an iris bed in
 Florida.  Does anyone have any information regarding growing irises in
 Florida.  I have designated a spot under a tree, but I am being told that
 irises need 6 or more hours of sun.  Any information any of you - the
 experts can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Renee,
      There are Irises that can be grown in Florida, but in general, the
northern types will not grow here.  Louisiana Irises do great, as does Iris
virginica, provided they have moist feet.  I live on a dry hill, and have to
grow them in kiddie pools I have sunk into the ground.  I also have Iris
tridentata, but it has not bloomed here.  The buds aborted due to extremely
dry air it appears.
      Where in Florida are you?  This will help me in suggesting Iris types.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida      [About 20 miles southwest of Ocala.]

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/486170/_/966128383/