CULT: REB: SUMMER WHITEWINGS & JULY SUNSHINE (?)

One bloom apiece open on these two - both are loaded with buds.  I am
really impressed with these irises - small flowers, not modern form, but
they are lovely & plants, stalks & flowers are in proportion.  I am
mystified as to why anybody would call these ugly (re: earlier
discussion here).  Maybe because in the era in which they were
introduced they were a form no longer fashionable?  Or maybe some of
G.P.Brown's earlier ones were uglier?  Rosalie, I remember your saying
you had always liked SUMMER WHITEWINGS, so I know these weren't scorned
by everybody.  & Walter Moores tells me they bloomed in Texas in summer
heat and drought, tho didn't make pretty children.

Are they ever tall with larger flowers or is the small stature & bloom
typical for these?  Most things bloom shorter than registered here, but
so many cultivars are stunted by my growing conditions, I never know
what "normal" bloom size is supposed to be, and SUMMER WHITEWINGS is out
in the graveliest worst part of the field, where it was subjected to
above average heat and drought thru most of June.  The yellow one (yes,
too lazy to check the name tag right now) is in clay loam at the
opposite end of the field, shaded most of the morning.  Both are about
the same height and size bloom.

In any case, they certainly live up to their reputation for being
tough!  No spring bloom, but they didn't get off to a good start last
year.  I hope I get some bloom in spring to daub pollen on.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/486170/_/966177336/