CAT: how to find iris catalogues in the U.S.

Rusty writes:
>Your an experienced iris grower, hopefully a patient one.

Patient -yes. Experienced - well I have grown irises for only a few short
years, but I learn more every day, thanks to the people on this list.

>Am in desparate need of catalogues with color pictures, and any
>beginner book you can suggest.

Living in Australia makes it a bit harder to help you here, but you might
start by joining the American Iris Society:
Send $18 to:
Marilyn Harlow, Dept. E
PO Box 55
Freedom, CA 95019

If you go to:
http://www.telp.com/gardening/

and click on Tom's Favourite Catalogues,
you will get the addresses of a few commercial growers, who you could write
to for catalogues.
The AIS Bulletin also has advertisements for commercial growers.

Some US catalogues I have enjoyed are:
Suttons Green Thummer,
Roris Gardens
Schreiners
Cooleys
(all with heaps of colour photos)

If you have time to surf the net, go to:
http://www.irises.org

scroll down the page, and click on:
iris related links
Here you will find a wonderful selection of web pages to visit, including
many commercial growers, and pages that will give you information on growing
irises.

Our archives, at:

http://www.mallorn.com/lists/iris-talk/
are a wonderful resource.

For an iris photo fix, go to:
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/iris-photos/

BOOKS:
Amazon have a number of books listed, and the American Iris Society also
sell a few.
Some to check out are:
The World Of Iris (from the AIS)
Gardening with Irises (Bill Shear, who is on this list)
Iris - Flower of the Rainbow (Graeme Grosvenor, from Australia, and
available in the US)

I have sent this to the list, so that other newbies receive it. Be patient,
all those listers who have seen this information many times before. Perhaps
someone could add to my recommendations?

Cheers, Jan Clark