Re: re:cult; IRIS WORM (borer)

Spraying for the borer is one of those "timing is everything"
things. The common recommendation is to spray when the
new foliage is six inches high, and then every two weeks for
three applications. The thinking behind this is probably
that when the conditions are right for the foliage to be six inches,
the temps are right for egg hatching. This may be a good rule
of thumb, but nothing is perfect. I spray when the foliage is around
3", and every ten days for 4 applications. A few borers still survive.
Once they reach the rhizome, it is generally too late.  If the spray is
on the leaves long enough to dry, rain will not reduce the effect.
Cygon is systemic--it is taken into the plant tissues. The borer eats
cygon tainted leaves, gets a bad case of food poisoning and dies.
John Bruce  jbruce@infinet.com
SW Ohio, USDA Zone 5b, Sunset #35
President, Miami Valley Iris Society