Re: Lawn vs Irises

>From: RYFigge@aol.com
>To: loberg@jps.net, iris-talk@egroups.com
>Subject: [iris-talk] Lawn vs Irises
>Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:31:00 EDT
>
>Kitty, I know the competition of lawn vs irises!  Years ago I figured out
>I'd rather weed than mow and the lawn dwindled.

   I really don't understand why so many people like featureless
lawns.  Mowing, watering, fertilizing, fungicides, pesticides,
and for what??  In the last four weeks, I've removed 192 square
feet of so-so grass for my new bed of 64 Dykes Medal winners.
I've been lurking due to all this work in my new garden, only
have 64 square feet more to remove.
   Somewhere I heard that lawns are a "natural habitat for humans",
stemming from our ancestry on the African Savannahs.  This explan-
ation may do for those in the sod industry, but I still prefer
trees, flowers and other interesting plants to ordinary grass.
There are more species of birds in my yard than in my neighbors'
yards, ditto for frogs, turtles, snakes, toads, bats, rabbits....
the list goes on and on.  My neighbors' well-groomed lawns attract
mostly House Sparrows and Starlings, while I have Cedar Waxwings
and Eastern Kingbirds.

---Jim Kulbacki, Lake Orion, MI (Zone 6)