Re: RE: OT Lawn vs Iris

Judy, you ae so lucky  to have so much space you can mow with a rider-mower!
I have  about a 1/2 acre including the house, with a 3 ft border all around
of very special trees, shrubbery, grasses, etc  and then grassy walks before
the irises - and I have close to a 1000 and I try to intersperse with other
things  to add interest -- but to have that many it does mean rows of irises
- each year I say I'm cutting back - and I have eliminated most JIs and back
on  Sibs -- as much as I love both  -  and I can see the handwriting on the
wall that I';ll have to cut back more next year ---  replace beds  with
grass?  Weeding can be very soothing if you have a small garden (I think) It
gives you time to think and plan etc - but if you need outside help!!! - and
I do!  I spent the late afternoon in the garden and was really  upset because
3 weeks ago it was well weeded.  There has been so much rain I haven't been
out there too often and the weeds think they are taking the place of
mulch!!!!    Rosalie nr Baltimore USA  zone 7  ryfigge@aol.com