Re: Re: TBIS

I guess there is something going on that I don't really understand.

Why was TBIS formed?  What were the dissatisfactions with AIS that led to
the formation of an entirely independent group?  Surely it couldn't be that
the AIS doesn't pay enough attention to tall bearded irises.

Why doesn't TBIS want to be a section of AIS, as nearly all of the other
special interest groups are?  Even though these groups may have little or
nothing in bloom during AIS conventions, they seem perfectly happy to meet
at that time and put on very informative and entertaining programs (as in
Oklahoma City, where the JIS in particular did a great job).  These groups
have their own meetings when their particular plants are in bloom.  TBIS
could have the best of both worlds by combining their spring meeting with
the AIS convention.  It would surely be a problem for AIS if TBIS insisted
on having a meeting at the same time as the AIS convention, but in a
different place. (If the TBIS meetings are so inexpensive, maybe people
could do both if they were separated by a few weeks time, which could be
accomplished by geographic coordination).

I do understand the concern over the costs of AIS conventions.  But that is
a problem that I think could rather easily be addressed--after all, if TBIS
can have a convention "on the cheap" then why cannot costs of AIS
conventions be reduced?

Anyway, to the outsider it appears that there may be some hidden and
perhaps personal agendas being worked out in this controversy.  It seems
just now that the AIS position is entirely reasonable.  Why won't TBIS
compromise and join the family?  It would also seem that TBIS isn't keeping
its members fully informed.  But I am not a member, so this is just an
impression.

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN MY EMAIL ADDRESS, EFFECTIVE JULY 12, 2000, AS
SHOWN BELOW.  HOWEVER, THE OLD ADDRESS WILL CONTINUE TO WORK UNTIL MAY,
2001.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<wshear@email.hsc.edu>
Moderating e-lists:
Coleus at http://www.egroups.com/community/coleus
Opiliones at http://www.egroups.com/community/opiliones
Myriapod at http://www.egroups.com/community/myriapod

Missing old school friends? Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/8015/0/_/486170/_/966435332/