AIS: TBIS: reasons for forming

I don't profess to remember everything TBIS founding members said when
soliciting charter members, but the things that I remember that appealed
to me were ways that TBIS would try to be different from (and therefore
complementary to) AIS.

Focused solely on TBs

Not restricted to American (as in American Iris Society)

Greater emphasis on fun and love of irises, less on competition, thus
emphasis on national level garden tours (are these pre-convention
tours?), actively encouraging novice hybridizers (I've heard this was
supposed to have been by offering less expensive advertising space, but
I'm not sure where that went)

The same ol' improve the gardenability of modern TBs - haven't seen a
concerted effort in that direction yet.

Elected leaders (rather than appointed)

And the unspoken effect	of healthy competition that would hopefully
improve both organizations.

So far, it does seem to have had the latter effect, but the price paid
seems painful for everybody at the top, judging from what I'm hearing
offlist off and on.  And it sounds as though it hasn't been bringing out
the best in everybody.

Anybody have different memories of why TBIS said it was forming?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8