In a message dated 8/16/00 7:28:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

> I would not consider the Salem tour to be in the pre-convention
>  category.

Actually, this was not a "tour" per se, nor was it a "convention".  No
banquets, no boutique, no judges training, no silent auction etc.

I attended the spring meeting of the TBIS which was held over the weekend of
May 26-28, 2000 about 6-7 weeks AFTER the AIS National Convention.

I had originally planned to attend the AIS convention but with the days it
was set up on would have been very expensive for me.  The only way to get
reasonable airfare is with a Saturday night stayover and that would have been
just more days I really did not want to be away from home.  The TBIS spring
meeting was very , very, reasonable in cost and was during a long holiday
weekend so it was easy to get away.  In this case, it was not a hard choice.

I was aware the Region 13 Meeting was during this weekend also.
Unfortunately, there is ALWAYS a conflict with dates, bloom times, etc, etc.
for ANY event.  When you are dealing with irises that are in bloom during a
limited time period of the year, that is bound to happen.

My opinion...I personally see no reason at this time for the TBIS to become a
section of the AIS.  I would like to see it as it's own entity.  However, I
am possibly not aware of all the facts relative to this.  Therefore, this is
my OPINION based on what I personally know.

Another two cents in the bucket.....

Linda Doffek
West Bend WI    Zone 5
Member AIS, MIS, TBIS, and Wisconsin Iris Society VP